Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Transforming the Shadow

The spirit leans toward restoration.  After a month of difficult shadow work, the air feels just a little lighter these past June days.  The shadows are still there, and even as I do the work of integration, new ones rise to the surface.  Integration makes me stronger, and these new shadows are not so frightening.  Now the mud-covered raging huntress and the opulent jeweled Cruella Deville  are aspects of repressed selves I am facing head-on, aspects that repel me when I encounter them in the world...aspects I have buried deep within myself.

Wrath and Greed are two of the seven deadly sins.  I suppose it might be Dante's traipse through Hell to confront his own- and our collective shadow.  And just look at the way these shadows manifest collectively-- mass murder and war, and economic exploitation, neglect of the poor and needy.  This is our spiritual work to transform these shadows first in our own lives, that we do not transfer them onto others.

This has been my work, aided greatly by contemplation. As I have read recently, it is the work of the spiritual director first and foremost to develop his/her own mystical faculty-- to deepen in contemplation.  I know when I do this, the way is made clear and gifts arise.  Already this is true.. so I am recommitting these past few weeks to mindfulness practice, awareness, and prayer.  

These are just a few words tonight-- beauty, nature, children, friends-- so many gifts there.  Pages in my gratitude journal...much is emerging.  It is not enough to meet the shadow-- we must then dance with it, befriend it, integrate it, and ultimately transform it into light. I am thankful l for all who offer me the help I need along this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment