Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday Noticings

Where is God in this day?  This day where I find myself cursing the phone that won't stop ringing, the endless emails and the long to do list. This day where I find myself whining in exhaustion at 9PM, in line at the Goodwill to buy the white button-down shirt my daughter needs tomorrow for a school performance- the shirt I've already searched 8 stores to find- as my kids dance loud and dizzy circles through the aisles.    And this day when the first moment of silence I've had all day is broken by a knock at the door, "Can I come in? I've had a hard night..."

Surely, God is present and moving in me. I feel wholeness in the movement toward compassion- in the prayers for a grieving friend, in the awareness of the fragility of life, in the hug of comfort for an over-stressed co-worker, in the moment of a conversation when I know to stop laughing and be silent- to be reverent and honor the unspoken pain.  It's in the wave of so many unexpected rushes to deeper meaning and call beneath the chaos...and the moment when I stop steaming with frustration at the long wait and begin to see the people around me as human beings, struggling with their own lives:  the woman haggling over the price of a coat at the goodwill- for whom every cent seems to count; and the man who shuts down his register early- who appears exhausted and longing for a break.

And surely God is present in others- in those unexpected gifts of generosity I don't expect.  Maybe a part of me thinks I don't deserve them, that I have to carry life all on my own.  But to block a gift is to create false separation- isn't this also to block the flow of God? ...So I say thank you, thank you, thank you-- to the friends who take tasks off my to-do list (who do not wait for me to ask); for the moments of connection and the appreciation of my family; for the invitations to my soul that come in places I do not expect- whether it is the executive office or the Goodwill; for the flow of collaborative creativity- beauty and poetry- in planning a worship service in shared ministry; and for all the countless gifts that are being offered- like tiny hands supporting me from so many places- if I can let go and let in.

The fire of life moves in me and all around, and is transformed- from selfishness to interconnection.  From anger and self-pity- to gratitude and compassion.  From me to we.  From separation to love.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! I, too, feel those tiny hands, and am grateful for them. Sometimes it feels, together, like too much to accept . . . an overblessing, undeserved. There is a kind of peace, though, in noticing them, and calling them out one by one. My hope: that on this day I might make gifts of myself as well, when and where they are needed.

    ReplyDelete