Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why Church?

Gratitude fills my heart.  This past week I have reaped the joys of my UU community-- from Wednesday night's Spirit in Practice group to last night's Serendipity Dinner.  This morning I came together with so many.  There was a more familiar bond, especially with those whom I have known in smaller groups throughout this past week. So many of us gravitated toward each other because we knew our stories on another level and shared a common experience. This is the blessing of small group ministry which makes larger church worship a more intimate celebration.

There were other things which brought me joy-- a good sermon, new connections, new resolutions and doors opening.   Sometimes I forget why I am a part of this community; it feels like all work with very little reward.  But church is not a give and take; it is an experience of participation in something larger than myself; it is a transformation.

Today I remembered why I am a part of this community.  Knowing stories and struggles and laughter and joy, I was there to celebrate and love the people I have come- and am coming- to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment