Monday, November 12, 2012

Resilient Spirits

Outside, the wind howls.  It was a beautiful sunny day today, and I spent it hiking with family and friends.  Now, I am sitting curled up with blankets- and two little kittens-in my newly cleaned meditation room.  Ah, at last... after two weeks of disorder, the room is returning to its ordered state.  And perhaps my prayer life will too.

But is prayer life ever ordered?  Prayer comes as it will: the crying out in the car, in the witness of  the international news, in the heart's response to a letter or an email- worry, fear, brokenness, joy and elation, in the everyday moments- like my daughter Elisa smiling her toothless grin, holding up her second bottom-front tooth.

Over the past few weeks and days, my mind has been spinning with thoughts about resilient communities, and a real longing to be still and integrally connected within my own.  Now I recognize the ways I will need to let go and simplify.  As once again the room has returned to order, and I return again to spiritual discipline.  As this little black kitten who almost died at eight weeks now lies sweetly plump and purring next to me.  We share a resilient spirit.

These are all my thoughts for the evening...just fragments of the ways I might begin again, more simply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment