Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent, Day 1: Our Spirits Long

In a visualization exercise yesterday, I experienced a visitation from my father.  Knowing that we would have this time together, my heart beat in eager anticipation.  I was so excited to see him!  I sat in my favorite sacred space- on the yellow bench by the Fishkill Falls, and I watched as he came skipping down the road from the mountain in the distance.  He was wearing his mail carrier's uniform and smiling.  Tears streamed down my face as we embraced, and I felt his warm arms around me once again.

It has been seven years since my father died, so the visualization was a real gift. This was blessed time together of talking, of sharing stories, of laughing and making jokes and enjoying one another's company. I miss him dearly, and cherished this time.

On the first day of Advent, I liken that experience of waiting on the bench before his arrival to this season of anticipation and hope.  There is something we are all yearning for-- to be reunited with something or someone that loves us, to be held, to be cared for, to be complete.  Perhaps there is something concrete we may be awaiting- the visit of a loved one from far away, or an event we have excitedly prepared for, such as a wedding or birth.  Or perhaps it is something larger- the end to war and violence, homes for the homeless, friends for the lonely, peace on earth and good will for all.  In each and all, our spirits long to be made whole.   

During this season, may we prepare a space in our hearts to receive. May we sit in anticipation with yearning and hope, as we open ourselves to receive that gift of love and wholeness that comes to us skipping down and smiling from the mountain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment