Friday, November 30, 2012

The Sacred Mother

It is my mother's birthday today, so perhaps it was only fitting that the spiritual direction work I would be doing this day would focus on images of the "Divine Mother". The first image I created of my female God ideal and my own relationship with my mother reality were very different, and yet on closer look, there were many connections.

As I processed through my images with another person, I finally realized that the feminine god ideal is alive in all its wholeness-- and it includes those qualities which I had first separated out.  The divine mother is serene peace; but she is also a fierce protector. She is vitality-- the earth and her rivers and trees.  She is flow and breath and stillness and the courageous rise of sea.  She is human vulnerability, and humor and resilience.  She is compassion, the spirit of life- and all that sings in me.

I have done so much inner work over the years around this most fundamental and difficult relationship with my mother, so to hear another person name what has finally emerged in me as compassion was valuable and affirming; perhaps there are still eggshells we walk on, places I fear to tread, but there is also softness and tenderness and appreciation for the woman who gave me birth.

My own mother is a human being, and like me she is not perfect. But I hold a deep deep love for her.  Our lives are intertwined.

May each of us on our journeys find peace and strength.  May we be breathed in the spirit of love and life of the feminine divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment