Friday, August 17, 2012

Gratitude and Blessing for One Who Serves

This Sunday UU minister Rev. Chris Antal, who has served as the consulting minister of my congregation this past year, leaves on nine months of deployment to Afghanistan as an army chaplain. As the weekend approaches, I am filled with many emotions- sadness, surely, as I read the news and personal accounts of this awful war, and fear the hardship that lies ahead for him, his unit, and their families; but also a deep sense of gratitude and respect for the incredible generous ministry of one I have come to know as both spiritual leader and friend.

There are many stories I could share, but I will leave it to say that having Chris as my minister has had a profound impact on my life. As I reflect on the intangible gifts I have personally received, I am filled with gratitude.  But more than this I am grateful for the ministry that he is offering to the world.  He is one of a small (but growing) number of UU military chaplains.  Our chaplains walk with soldiers and military families through grief and hurt and loss of meaning, in a way that is open and inclusive of all theological beliefs, and accepting of all sexual orientations.  I believe Unitarian Universalism is a healing faith- a saving faith- which is needed most in places of brokenness, and I know that Chris will embody the principles of our faith as a healing presence in a place of much hardship and pain.  

As our UU ministers accompany their units through war, I hope that those of us in the larger fellowship will walk with them from afar. We are integrally connected, yet have created such divides between those at war, and those here at home, safe in America.  I have followed the blog of Rev. Seanan Holland who is currently serving in Afghanistan, and will follow Chris’ blog as he also plans to write.  May we remain in fellowship, separated by geography, but connected by awareness to the burdens they are helping to carry. And may their stories break our hearts open to greater compassion for all those at war, as they serve overseas, and as they return to this soil.

There is a book, put forth by Skinner House, called Bless All Who Serve: Sources of Hope, Courage, and Faith for Military Personnel and their Families.   As I think of Chris this weekend, I offer these words, in gratitude and in hope, as a blessing for one who serves…

May you be safe, in body and in mind, and may you be strong in spirit.  May your presence in Afghanistan help to guide, to heal, and to bring peace.  May you be accompanied, always, by Spirit and by the interconnected web of your larger spiritual community.  And may you walk in courage and in faith,  humbly with your God. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, Dear Chris, go safely into your call. I had the honor of attending his ordination and hearing him preach in Rochester, and he is a wonderful minister. If my path were different, I would be following you into that kind of ministry, but I had had to make different choices. Blessings on the special ministry you do!

    ReplyDelete