Monday, August 20, 2012

And may you return whole, and safely...

Saturday was an emotional day for my UU community, as we gathered together in fellowship and ceremony with our minister, Rev. Chris Antal, prior to his departure to Afghanistan. Ministers from his support cluster joined Chris in leading a moving service, as we offered blessing for him, his chaplain's assistant, and their families.

Chris can be seen and heard in this video from yesterday's deployment ceremony for the 450 New York Army National Guard soldiers of the 101st Expeditionary Signal Battalion. They will travel to Fort Bliss for training, followed by a nine-month deployment to Afghanistan. When I first heard the video, I misheard his words as "and return us whole". Listening again, I hear he says "home"...But, as I think of the path that lies ahead, that first mis-hearing rings true.... and I pray for a whole and safe return for all...



No comments:

Post a Comment