Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Greatest Gift

Today is my 37th birthday.  Most likely I will not have time to write anything within the next week: leading a ceremony and a worship service, working a gala, and attending (and speaking at) a conference in St. Paul are activities of my week ahead! I am not overwhelmed, I swear!...there is still time to breathe, though maybe not to celebrate my birthday, at least in the usual of ways.

So I simply enjoyed an amazing day of gorgeous weather yesterday.  I ate lunch by the river and walked the grounds at work, while the spring peepers and wood frogs performed a mid-day serenade.  Last night I had a beer and pizza with my husband, and then we jumped on the trampoline in our yard with our two daughters- laughing and flying high in the warm night air.  Above us, these black birds with wide wing spans glided; at first I thought they might be vultures, but they seemed to soar differently- closer and more graceful- and seeing the yellow beaks and beginning of white head, we saw that they were young bald eagles, probably just beginning their flights from the nearby nesting grounds.

It really has been one of those weeks where my confidence has soared and I have felt open to Spirit.  As for my birthday, I have also learned this week the joy that can be found in giving-- as I plan a celebration, not for myself, but for someone else.  So my only hope now is the same prayer I had before I led my sister's wedding ceremony back in September-- that I can let go of my fears, truly listen, and offer a gift that is from the heart. Of course, when I am with my community, the words of this prayer are not necessary- there are only the people- the children and families- the presence- the love. And I remember that in the moment, all will be well. And what more could I ask for on my birthday than this- to be present in the moment, honoring life- its joys and its sorrows- with people who I love. It is all such a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment