Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Blessed are You

Before I left the Hope Center yesterday, my spiritual director handed me a book on the Beatitudes (What Jesus Meant: The Beatitudes and Meaningful Life by Eric Kobell).  I began reading it on the train today, and have so far found it deeply resonant.  What a gift to hear again, for the first time, those richly beautiful verses in a new light.  In this month when so many lives of those around me have been troubled- cancer, loss, joblessness, poverty, violence, criticism and reprimand, dreams dashed and paths uncertain- and the wail of tears and prophetic voices rising in the midst- I read these words and my soul sings- You are blessed!  Rejoice and be Glad, for yours is the Kingdom of God!


"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of Matthew 5:3-10

No comments:

Post a Comment