Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Prayer for My Children

Tonight I whisper a prayer for my children whom I adore.  I adore them when they are chasing each other around the house screaming, when they are too full of energy and cannot sit still.  I adore them with all their flaws and craziness and annoyances. Adoration does not always mean like, but rather a heart full of their being- full of the spirit that lies within each child that simply longs to be free.

And if we become harsh and critical as parents... how often is it simply the rising of our own issues?  We worry...our fears and insecurities keep us from our fullest love.  Let us self-examine before we cast a stone.  Discipline and rules are one thing, as we teach them and help to guide and develop qualities of respect.  But I've heard too much lately that sounds like crushing of the inner self.  And this I will defend and protect:

The Spirit.  The Soul.  In children, in all their fullness of life, loving what they love, loving the world... and laughing wholeheartedly.  The wolf mother rises in me in all her fierceness when life is threatened.  And freedom of the soul, the authenticity of the self...THIS is life.

Oh Great Spirit protect those ones I love who lie now sleeping soundly in their beds, and fill each child with your Presence.  Protect them from the things of this world that might diminish their spirits. And may each child become all that she is,  with all of her love embracing the world.   Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment