Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gracious Gifts

Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth, "you owe me."  Look what happens with a love like that.  It lights the whole sky.- Hafiz

I have been thinking about the gifts that we give and receive, and the meaning we put into them. I think sometimes I give with the hope of receiving gratitude for my consideration, or recognition of how clever my gift might be.  Can I give anonymously, knowing only the simple joy of the receiver's smile and delight? Can I give without the hope of receiving a 'thank you'? Grace is a gift that is given freely- a gift that expects nothing in return. To offer one's overflowing heart generously to the universe for the sake of offering beauty and light, without expectation of receiving anything in return...that is the true way to give.

I received a gift this morning from a woman I have never met.  She is a GED student of my husband's-- one who I have been thinking about and praying for this past week. Last weekend her good friend was killed by her boyfriend in a domestic dispute, and vigil candles burned in city streets.  The student herself has many of her own personal struggles, and this morning she told my husband that it would be her last day of class for awhile, as she will need to find work instead of pursuing her education until her advocate can help to sort out a Department of Social Services mess.

But this morning, she was very happy.  She had spent the weekend praying through a bible study program in her Episcopal church, and my husband said she entered class enthusiastically, bringing him a gift "for his wife" - a basket of honey and almond bath oils and lotions.  While I have never met her, my heart is warmed in appreciation that perhaps in some small way, in the language of unspoken prayer, we are connected. I hope that she finds healing in her life.

As I breathe in the sweet honey scent of body oil, I am deeply appreciative of this stranger's gift. And I pray that the gifts I pass on to others will be given freely in overflowing love, without expectation of praise and recognition in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment